When it comes to any artistic creation – whether it’s a painting, a costume, a piece of architecture, or even a gas pump – the devil’s in the details.
As you saw in part one of our saga, this old pump was in rather rough shape when we found him. Years of neglect and being left to the elements had robbed him of his once grand stature but surely not his character.
In part two, we stripped him down to his bones and began developing the vision that we hoped would begin to bring him back to his glory. When we left off, his exterior pieces had been sent off to the powdercoater to have him work his magic. In the meantime, there was work to be done at home.
With his exterior parts being worked on away from home, we knew we had some time to begin addressing all the little things that needed to be tinkered with and polished. But, wow, our powdercoater works FAST so we really didn’t have too much time to waste!
There were parts that needed to be ordered such as faceplates, decals, and a new globe. We managed to find some outstanding pieces from dealers in the US and waited for those to arrive in the mail.
We were fortunate that the old man still had one piece of original glass in him that was intact. No small feat considering his age! Replacement glass was cut to fill in his missing pieces and we even managed to score an original nozzle from a swap meet we attended at the beach. Chrome was polished and buffed and readied for the old guy. His wiring was reconnected and, with the addition of a couple of new lightbulbs, he lit right up when plugged in (and there were no sparks or fire; hurray!) And then…we picked up the pieces from the powdercoater. W.O.W. They were beautiful!
All that was really left was to put him back together. Witness his transformation in part four!